From: Matthew Sherman [mailto:mjsherman@research.att.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2002 12:37 AM
To: 'p.nikolich@ieee.org'; IEEE802
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Mobile Broadband Wireless Access--distinction between the ECSG and 802.16 SG project authorization requests

Hi Paul & Everyone,

I actually have a lot of strong opinions here, but prefer to be brief for now.  Perhaps I'll get boo'd, but I've always been very pro "let the market decide".  In a perfect world, I think only the ECSG PAR should go forward, since in my mind it has the broader scope (allows solutions other than 802.16), and then the 802.16 folks should propose a solution within the ECSG group based on 802.16.  The ECSG PAR might require a few small updates to absorb any minor outages from the 802.16 PAR but I doubt that's an issue.   However, I recognize that if people don't find an outlet in 802, they will probably take it somewhere else.  Even if we force them to merge, they would either try to split later, or (as seems to be the rule these days) come up with a let's do both standard.  So procedurally, I think we should make sure the PARs are distinct it their goals (usually it's not that hard to find some trivial distinction).  We should probably encourage them to have close ties and consider merging if at all possible along the way.  But I feel we should let both go forward if at all possible.

Mat

Matthew Sherman
Vice Chair, IEEE 802
Technology Consultant