Re: [802SEC] Kibis in Kauai

Howard,

As background to my comments, I should say that, though I am not in
any way involved in this standards project, I am in favor of it.

People may misunderstand the history of this project when they read
that the PAR was approved in May 2002. That was a revised PAR. The
original PAR was approved on 8 December 1998. (I just looked it up.)
The draft has been around for a very long time too. Perhaps that's
why the Sponsor Ballot proceeded so quickly.

This topic has not been a secret. For example, Jim Carlo forwarded
the SEC a coordinating note on this issue almost three years ago:
	http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg00399.html
Attached to that note was P1541 Draft 2 (dated 1999-12-24) including
virtually the same language as your Slide 2.

That coordinating note invited comment. I wrote to Bruce Barrow, and
he replied.

Even earlier, and independently, I wrote to the SEC on this issue in
December 1999:
	http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg00358.html
with a followup by Vic:
	http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg00359.html

My note cited a few other sources, including an August 1999 IEEE
Spectrum article quoting Bruce Barrow:
	http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/spectrum/aug99/departments/tech.html

as saying "it is unlikely the standard would be adopted before
mid-2000." (Good prognostication!)

Roger