From: Matthew B. Shoemake [mailto:shoemake@ti.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 11:21 PM
To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++SEC MOTION+++ Motion: Authorize Forwarding of the 802.11g draft to RevCom

Bob and SEC members:

My comment are included below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Grow, Bob [mailto:bob.grow@intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 4:55 PM
To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] +++SEC MOTION+++ Motion: Authorize Forwarding of
the 802.11g draft to RevCom

Colleagues:

This project is almost certain to be bounced by RevCom. In addition to
the irregularities of at least one comment being improperly reclassified
from Technical to Editorial,

I would like to make it clear that we have not reclassified any comments in a way that allows them to be dismissed. This is proven by the fact that every SEC member and RevCom member has that comment in front of them in this process. The comment was addressed by the committee, and it was recirculated, and it was sent to SEC and RevCom with our resolution. The fact that 802.11 Task Group G believes that the comment was actually editorial and not technical is irrelevant, as we still properly process, addressed, recirculated and carried this comment from the negative voter.

I have just learned that there is another
serious irregularity in the sponsor ballot process, and that
irregularity has been reported to members of RevCom.

A negative balloter was instructed that to maintain negative comments,
they had to be resubmitted on each recirculation ballot, or the TG/WG
would consider the negative comments as satisfied.

This is not correct. I have never told a voter that they must resubmit comments on each ballot. On every single ballot, I have included comments that go all the way back to the original ballot from the negative voters. For the submission to the SEC and to RevCom, this included comments from Mike Moreton, James Gilb and Tim O'Farrell as negative voters. For all three of these, I went back through the comments from the original sponsor ballot and the subsequent two recirculations to pull all their comments for you to review.

Stuart Kerry and I heard about a week ago from Mike Moreton of a missing comment. Strangely, we have only heard the allegation and have not received detail on the supposed missing comment. John Terry, 802.11g vice chair, has gone through over the last week and analyzed all of Mike Moreton's comments. We have found no irregularities. In light of allegations with no data to pack them up, I encourage you to vote affirmative and move 802.11g forward.

You should also be aware that in every recirculation ballot, I provided the voting members with access to every single comment and its resolution, whether or not we accept rejected or counter the comment. In addition, you should be aware that 802.11g has never thrown any comment out as invalid. We have addressed every comment whether or not we thought it was valid, invalid, technical or editorial. And to give you an example of how we circulated the comments, I have included the three comment files that were circulated with the last recirculation of 802.11g, i.e. Draft 8.2. You will find a that we included a file with all new negative comments, a file with all old negative comments and a file with all new comments. IEEE 802.11 Task Group G has been very thorough in making sure all comments have been recirculated, so we make sure we avoid exactly the issue that has arisen here.