RE: [802SEC] RE: Florida Tax on LANs
What an accounting
nightmare. Do you have to count the structured wiring as part of network cost?
What part of a laptop cost is allocated to the LAN cost? What about DTE powered
guitars and all those network attached lights and such at Disney World? The
rules that would have to be generated are scary.
If a letter was
going to be sent, it would be reasonable to point out that "cost of a network"
especially for LANs is not a defined thing and there would be much more than a
financial burden placed on businesses to comply. Such a rule could have a
chilling effect on businesses at a time when they are already
Now maybe a tax on
credit cards would make people think before got a bunch and ran up debts they
can't handle. Only problem is now the IRS lets you charge the taxes (for a
Sounds good to me.
discriminatory tax still be under consideration by the state of Florida when
we convene in November, I would be happy to 2nd a motion to cancel scheduled
802 meetings in Florida and to send an appropriate advisory letter with copies
to the Florida state chamber of commerce, the governor and the officers of the
Buzz, please advise of the financial implications.
I do not want to spend March at DFW or in Albuquerque.)
BTW speaking of
taxes, when I was in Ireland I was told by our landlady at a B&B that the
Irish government taxes citizens 40 Euros/year for each credit card they
At 05:01 PM 10/8/2003 -0700, Grow, Bob
When I saw this I though fantastic, an
alternative to a mariachi band. The seemingly obligatory mariachi band
in Albuquerque is for me almost as bad as the hotel room
As long as I am dumping on meeting
locations, please note the following relevant to March/Florida, how about an
802 led boycott of Florida?
Network World High
Speed LANs Newsletter, 09/02/03
The state of Florida is mulling a rule that could result in taxation
of computer networks - both WAN and LAN.
The rule is taking
businesses by surprise, according to a story in the Orlando Business
article says the state would tax networks 9.17%, and local districts could
add their own tax to it. What exactly would be taxed? Either the lease
payments or annual depreciation of network equipment, according to the
Everett O [mailto:email@example.com]
Wednesday, October 08, 2003 4:32 PM
Cc: Grow, Bob; firstname.lastname@example.org;
email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Subject: RE: Music at the Albuquerque
Geoff, Does this mean we need to find a WiFi
guitar to present a balanced program ???
Anyone for WiFi mariachi's ???
Dr. Everett O.
Boeing - SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
(425) 865-2443 Fx: (425)
- -----Original Message-----
- From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 4:20 PM
- To: email@example.com
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
firstname.lastname@example.org; Rigsbee, Everett O; email@example.com
- Subject: Music at the Albuquerque Social
- Enjoyed talking at lunch today.
- Thanks a lot for your offer to provide live music and a demo of the
Gibson Ethernet Guitar at the 802 Social.
- The folks to actually discuss the offer with are the meeting and
therefore the Social planners who are:
- Dawn C. Slykhouse, IEEE 802 Conference Organizer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Face To Face Events, Inc.
- 2699 Iversen Court
- Santa Clara, CA. 95051
- Tel: 408/241-8906
- Fax: 408/241-8918
- Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
- Executive Secretary, IEEE 802
- C/o Boeing - SSG
- PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
- Seattle, WA 98124-2207
- (425) 865-2443 Fx: (425) 865-6721
- Dawn is the professional meeting planner who actually runs the
plenaries. She is local.
- Buzz is the Executive secretary of IEEE 802 and overseeing meeting
arrangements is his job.
- I'm not just sure how they divide up duties on planning for the
entertainment at the social, but I suggest that you call Dawn as a first
point of contact.
- I hope to see you again soon,
- Best regards,
- | Geoffrey O.
- | Vice Chair, IEEE
- | Nortel Networks, Inc. M/S: P79/06/B04 |
- | 4655 Great America
- | P. O. Box
- | Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
- | Phone: +1 408 495
- | Fax: +1 408 495
- | E-Mail:
- | Please see the IEEE 802 web page at |
- | http://www.ieee802.org/