Re: [802SEC] +++EC Motion+++ Rules Change Ballot on Roll Call Votes

All,

I vote Disapprove.

Comments
--------

In the first paragraph, I believe that "can" should be changed to "may".

In the second paragraph, since 75% of members voting for or against any
motion can pass the motion, allowing 20% to force a roll call vote call
vote may be inviting the use of roll call votes as a stalling tactic.
Requiring support of 25% might be a better trade off between protecting
the minority and reducing the use as a delaying tactic.

The limitation on the time consumed by roll call votes should be deleted
as it can easily be used to block roll call votes on significant issues
by simply calling for roll call votes early in a meeting on trivial issues.

I proposed the following revised text

5.1.4.2.3 Roll Call Votes

A roll call vote may be held at the discretion of the chair.

A roll call vote shall be held if moved by a member of the group and the
motion is supported by greater than a quarter (25%) of the members
voting for and against the motion.

Thanks,

wlq