[802SEC] Comment on SA/Audcom Sponsor Model P&P

Title: Comment on SA/Audcom Sponsor Model P&P

Hi Dave,

I believe you suggested I should draft an e-mail for you to forward to AUDCOM concerning objections certain members of the 802 LMSC Executive Committee made to text in that document.  Specifically in Section 5 of the LMSC P&P you suggested adding the following line:

Officers shall read the training material available through IEEE Standards Development Online.

You noted that this line came directly from the Sponsor Model P&P maintained by AUDCOM.  At a recent LMSC P&P Revision Resolutions telecom a number of LMSC EC members expressed concern at this line, and in fact refused to agree to enter it in a proposed revision to our P&P.  The key issue seemed to be the word shall.  While everyone present felt that it was advisable to be familiar with various SA documents (including the IEEE Standards Development Online documents) it did not seem to be an enforceable rule, or very pragmatic or reasonable.  Could you please pass our concerns to AUDCOM and see if they have any feedback?

Thanks,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.

Senior Member Technical Staff