[802SEC] ************** Straw Poll on Extending Electronic Ballots **************************

Title: ************** Straw Poll on Extending Electronic Ballots **************************

All,

The one questions that was somewhat contentious when conducting resolution on the EC Voting Ballot was the question of extending electronic ballots for insufficient response.  Some people felt that the main reason why extensions were allowed was for short ballots where people may not have sufficient time to react, and there is therefore a desire to extend the ballot.  With the current resolution, a ballot may be terminated early if sufficient response is received to determine the matter prior to conclusion of the ballot.  This is primarily for use in short ballots, not for non time critical issues which should run the full ballot length.  With the new (formal) capability, you can set a ballot for a long length, and then terminate it as soon as you have sufficient votes to determine the issue.  So there should never be a need to close ballots early.  Right now the current resolution has removed the possibility of extending ballots.  The purpose of this straw poll is to make sure there is sufficient support for that.  The question I pose is:

Will you vote no on the EC Voting ballot due to elimination of the ability to extend electronic ballots?

If the answer to this is yes, please send me a quick note so I know if I need to adjust the resolution so it has sufficient support.

Thanks,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.

Senior Member Technical Staff