[802SEC] 25th Anniversary of IEEE 802

Dear EC Members,

13 March 2005 will be the official 25th anniversary of the formal approval of IEEE Project 802 Local Network for Computer Interconnection.

In commemoration of the anniversary I have unearth some of the original 802 documents, thanks to Jodi Haasz of IEEE SA staff.  Jodi was able to locate microfilms of the early communications with the IEEE Standards Office on PAR 802, the original PAR (13 March 1980) and the modified PAR for 802 (9 December 1982).  I have attached a copy here.

It is too late to do anything elaborate for celebrate the anniversary at the March plenary session, but I will make a mention of it at the opening plenary meeting and the social.   I also would like to invite anyone who was involved in those first sessions (circa 1979 and 1980) to say a few words at the social in commemoration of the anniversary.

25 years.  Wow.

Regards,

--Paul

802 original PAR from 1980.pdf