Re: [802SEC] ************** Straw Poll on EC Teleconferences ***************...

Jerry,

I agree with your point (2), but a bit more strongly. I will be
opposed to any P&P change authorizing telecons. A procedure for an
alternate would not address my concerns.

When I submitted my ballot comment, I was also thinking about the
problem of alternates. However, instead of thinking of telecons, I
was thinking of the case in which an EC can't attend a meeting. I
suggested that, in this case, the member could participate by phone.
Here is a repeat of my comment:

>(5) Regarding 7.1.5.2 ("Meetings by Teleconference"), I don't think
>we need them and I am opposed to holding them. They might make sense
>in an emergency, but they couldn't be used in an emergency because of
>the 30-day notice required in this rule. The rule also fails to
>specify who is entitled to call such a meeting, and on what grounds.
>A better issue to address regarding telephone meetings is a provision
>to allow telephone participation in EC meetings by members who are
>ill, etc.
>
>Remedy: Delete 7.1.5.2. At the end of the first paragraph of 7.1.5,
>add "Members of the Executive Committee may participate in and vote
>in EC meetings by telephone if unable to attend due to illness or
>other extraordinary circumstance."

Roger