Re: [802SEC] Chair re-election - proposed interpretation/rules change

I see a major rat-hole opening up here here which has the potential
to de-rail at least part of the intent of my proposed changes.

There are two discussions going on here:

1) What the rules need to express; and

2) The best way of representing that in order to minimize repetition,
centralize definitions of things, or whatever.

The very immediate problem is item 1); to a first order, as long as
the text expresses what we need it to express, I'm not much bothered
about the finer points of item 2).

Item 2) sounds to me like fodder for Mat's planned "grand
de-unification" process - converting the existing P&P into something
that AudCom can sign up to, plus our own local by-laws or whatever we
choose to call them. That is a long-term process anyway. So I don't
want us to end up in a situation where fixing this (non-urgent) part
of the problem gets in the way of fixing the immediate problem,
although I broadly agree with the points made so far relative to item 2).

A comment on part of what Carl said though. Quote: "Then, if we
want/feel_we_need_to set a higher bar than a simple majority for a
particular item in other sections of our P&P, then all we need to do
is to say "by a vote of xx% of the EC."

NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

That just gets us back down the rat-hole of having to understand what
"a vote of the EC" is, and whether the EC is an entity or a
collection of members. Is it:

- A vote of all of the EC (voting, non-voting, present, or absent); or

- Etc. Etc. (see my previous list).

Even with a definition of the default voting rule, we still have to
be very specific about how we specify any exceptions to it.

Regards,
Tony