Re: [802SEC] Information for the 802 EC
- To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
- Subject: Re: [802SEC] Information for the 802 EC
- From: "Law, David" <dlaw@HPE.COM>
- Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 11:49:13 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of firstname.lastname@example.org designates 184.108.40.206 as permitted sender) email@example.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:spamdiagnosticmetadata :spamdiagnosticoutput:content-language:accept-language:in-reply-to :references:message-id:date:thread-index:thread-topic:subject:to :from:arc-authentication-results; bh=M+7W2atCVwi4QpcXtpG0pByAJ+4TlJC4M8z9pt1boeY=; b=cMCs93P/++ASdQGFYhZ/bDXJSRVlKoQ1eByYp+Vg2Z3w8b+PTQ5jdh4Z7nHRJdXEr3 kfYwUL+ReKnYsyAUUJmmo2DsoFyOj+EdWJ1yLSsD8cu8rYxDEmiRBiCeJKArHNJAqlWb u3dXhJFJ4izErdaLyvYISd/ELEOlSLoL+MzOKAClcOaXk4YcTn0UYCCbnsq408yWJX2C sDZMBucI47ZsGapJRvL2quDBpMdG4qlLqHyRn2ct4ZTB1kgnytnLGGUxZeENDDDIhBH6 UeOD99/jfzIeFEjLqFd6zcXbVfhcTtcljn5pRLMlnwBmdtQfnTohjWrIneKOSfi69N+6 zoAg==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1526557793; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=Eo4Yo3HEOzQ2akAnKEODAOROtYhHOdilLszsz7w+MyeBrGiReXDCd3wghNiF2b4oAt PHgwDrxDUYU3HOnvP80vnUxzZwVkqUaxdTA4uX07mt0qEIrrcLytgT9iCJeEprp3DkIs SaDQP030uiTl4x1QZrAsUis/NtCp1MAO+kO0/Kos9EDz9oKm0r7SsfzSD/aPwQmFcpmV 36rayh4wy1hMsUQJre6WVf1VQnTpnMRvxKRh8hPRA1+HqmmskgwIpsI10XqPxF84s7b0 Aaifg0uganzwCfTvdvhCGbb7Q7IlaYgmvNQUt+qYTPBw8oKI9J5Kv5ZEbaYjzYnAPSmj vTag==
- Delivered-to: mhonarc@GROUPER.IEEE.ORG
- In-reply-to: <CAEMqUUZxRFn925K9bx=pmmTNjAMNxjXy6Mc6N0VxWzROyG+Akw@mail.gmail.com>
- List-help: <https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=STDS-802-SEC>, <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG?body=INFO%20STDS-802-SEC>
- List-owner: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-subscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- References: <CAEMqUUZxRFn925K9bx=pmmTNjAMNxjXy6Mc6N0VxWzROyG+Akw@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: "Law, David" <dlaw@HPE.COM>
- Sender: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
- Thread-index: AQHT7FMikBtTtPRXU0CPF8DKaAwOR6QzuEUg
- Thread-topic: [802SEC] Information for the 802 EC
Dear EC members,
Further to the email below I've been working with Yvette to establish the process to use within IEEE 802.3, and its subgroups, to support the goal of obtaining a written acknowledgment from every individual participant employer by and/or affiliated with ZTE in respect to the bylaws requirements for individual participation.
I wanted to share this with everybody as you may want to institute a process within your groups as well.
The IEEE-SA has already reached out to all individual participants that they know of employed and/or affiliated with ZTE to obtain written acknowledgment in respect to the bylaws requirements for individual participation. Based on this a list of individuals that have provided this written acknowledgment is being generated, and access to the list will be made available to Working Group Chairs shortly.
As IEEE 802.3 Working Group Chair I will verify the names of IEEE 802.3 participant employer by and/or affiliated with ZTE against the list and will inform Yvette of any participating that are not on the list. Once I have informed Yvette of an individual missing from the list I do not need to inform her again, even if that individual continues to participate without being added to the list.
To achieve the above I will be asking all IEEE 802.3 Subgroup Chairs to inform me of the participation of anyone employer by and/or affiliated with ZTE in their face to face and teleconference meetings.
From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Yvette Ho Sang
Sent: 15 May 2018 14:44
Subject: [802SEC] Information for the 802 EC
IEEE standards development has projects that are conducted using either the individual process or the entity process. In the individual process, all participants represent themselves as individuals, and do not represent any entity. As noted in subclause 5.2.1 of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Bylaws (http://standards.ieee.org/develop/policies/bylaws/sect5.html):
"Participants in the IEEE standards development individual process shall act based on their qualifications and experience. Entity representative participants in the IEEE standards development entity process are appointed by an entity to represent that entity and act on its behalf. Such representatives may participate in IEEE standards development activities and take action based upon instruction from the entity for which they have been appointed as an entity representative."
As such, in the individual process, the participant is not to be directed by their affiliation, and must act based on their own qualifications and experience. In the entity process, the representative is appointed by the entity to represent that entity and act on its behalf.
The US Department of Commerce has issued a denial order against ZTE (see https://www.commerce.gov/news/press-releases/2018/04/secretary-ross-announces-activation-zte-denial-order-response-repeated).
Participants in the individual process cannot represent any entity, and must represent themselves only as individuals with their own qualifications and experiences. In that instance, those individuals are permitted to participate in the individual standards development process as individuals participating in an open meeting for the purpose of development and publication of consensus standards.
Participants who are employed by or who declare an affiliation with ZTE will be asked to confirm their understanding of and compliance with the IEEE-SA Standards Board Bylaws pertaining to their participation in the IEEE individual process. If you need to verify this confirmation, please contact me.
Some Sponsors issue invitation letters for visas. IEEE is suspending the issuance of these letters until it confirms the appropriate compliance with the Order. As soon as we have an update, we will inform you.
Yvette Ho Sang, MBA, ARM
Director, IPR and Risk Mgmt
IEEE Standards Association
445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel: +1 732 562 3814
Mobile: +1 732 690 9863
Fax: +1 732 562 1571
Fostering technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.
To unsubscribe from the STDS-802-SEC list, click the following link: https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-SEC&A=1
This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.