Re: [802SEC] Using the existing 'deadbeat policy' for virtual meeting fees

One caveat:  it appears to me from the reports I’ve gotten that the webex attendance is a snapshot, not a cumulative.  I’ve seen people who I remember were on the call not show up in the attendance report. I’ve guessed that this happens when someone maybe came in late, dropped off, or left early. It also may be that I don’t know how to use Webex well enough.  We should understand the reliability of the data before we make decisions on voting rights though.

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG> On Behalf Of Jon Rosdahl
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 6:33 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Using the existing 'deadbeat policy' for virtual meeting fees

Greetings.

I have been monitoring WebEx reports vs IMAT reports.

For a Plenary or Interim week, I found that there are many that show up as "observers" (seen on Webex, but not on IMAT).

I also found many that claimed credit for attendance that did not show up on the Webex Report (IMAT recorded, Webex absent).

Now it can be argued that "getting attendance" credit to claim voting rights is important enough to mark IMAT even when not on a call is not a "big deal".

We had this same issue debated when we had in person sessions, and we audited the attendance counts vs IMAT reporting.

In that case, some were embarrassed, and then claimed that we should take their money and give them credit toward voting rights.

The leadership at the time were accused of treating them like school children, requiring them to mark attendance accurately.

so if we have Electronic, in person, or hybrid sessions.  We have the same issue to cope with.

Some will want to attend without paying the price, whether it is as simple as IMAT recording, or some monetary value.

As for follow up on the "Deadbeats", we have to note them when it occurs...

In the in person meetings, seeing people without a badge in the meeting rooms or participating in the F&B, we make note of it and follow-up.

do we "catch" 100%...no, but we do Audit the hotel registration for those claiming to be in our group and ensure that they are registered and paid the meeting fee.  We audit those claiming attendance and ensure they are registered and paid the meeting fee.

For Electronic meetings, I would expect no different.

If you are on Webex, then you should have paid a registration fee (if one applies).

If you are claiming attendance, then you should have paid a registration fee (if one applies).

It should also be noted that "Deadbeats" also pay the onsite registration (the highest rate).

This includes folks that "forgot" to pay earlier....Jon Rosdahl and Paul Nikolich included (at least once each).

So enforcement will require an audit report from the WG chairs on who was present and who requested attendance credit to compare with those that paid the agreed upon meeting fee.

That is within the rules that George pointed out, and is what the Treasurer and Exec Secretary do in general.

Regards,

Jon

Jon Rosdahl                             Engineer, Senior Staff
IEEE 802 Executive Secretary   Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
office: 801-492-4023
                  10871 North 5750 West
cell:   801-376-6435                   Highland, UT 84003

A Job is only necessary to eat!
A Family is necessary to be happy!!