Re: [802SEC] Resetting the March 2022 registration fee

Colleagues,

I’ve been trying to resist posting, but obviously can no longer resist.

I’ve felt that the virtual registration rates were too low for some time, but expressed that to very few people.  Instead of having virtual rates double what they were (e.g., $150 or $200 early registration instead of $75), the proposed rates will have unpredictable results on registration (IMO).  The cost of traveling to and attending an in-person meeting can run thousands of dollars as has been pointed out by others, so the costs to participate in the last two years have been a very low “sincerity test”; and the significant change in registration fee is still not an equivalent test.

Though I’ll be interested to see if a $400-$800 registration fee causes some to fail the "sincerity test” and drop participation, I trust the EC looking at the actual numbers will use prudent financial judgement on how attendance might change based on a dramatic jump in registration fee, and what reserve is needed for the anticipated losses from cancellation of the March in-person hotel contract.

As to how to treat the 41 that registered early?  I like both Option 4 and Option 5, but think a little more definition is needed and would combine them.  I know there is a “fairness” consideration, but I don’t know if there is a legal consideration.  I know some US states have shelf pricing laws (e.g., the price placed on a can of soup on the grocery store shelf can’t be increased, hence the price moving to the shelf rather than the can).  I do not know if any similar law would apply, and registration being virtual would be tied to Florida laws or if any federal laws for interstate commerce would apply (I expect interstate would be extended to inter-nation).  At a minimum IEEE risk management should be consulted on this if they haven’t already been put on notice.

I would suggest combining Options 4 and 5.

1.  A $75 credit for those that have already registered when registering again at the new rates.  (I know this is more complicated to implement that a refund of a cancelled $75 registration, but legal considerations might favor one or the other.)
2.  I also favor grandfathering the early rate as implied in Option 5.  If they pay the increased rate difference before the start of the plenary series, they would get the new early rate (e.g., $400) independent of date.
3.  Provide a liberal cancellation policy to those $41 people.  Perhaps if they don’t attend, we refund the $75 even if they don’t cancel in advance of the meeting.
4.  There also needs to be a late registration policy for these 41 individuals.  I would propose that failure to register at the increased rate prior to the start of the meeting makes them liable for the new late registration fee amount if they attend any part of the plenary session that required a fee.

—Bob