Re: SONET/Ethernet clock tolerance

Paul,

Thank you for your comment, but I think I see some discontinuity
between your recent replies to Rich and me.  It would be appreciated
if you could help me to understand your point.

My understanding of your "a full fledged SONET compliant version" is
preparing SONET Path STS-192c (with Path overhead) at 10GigE WAN-PHY.
This sounds me that the clock compensation is performed by pointer
manipulation (read it SONET re-framing) at ELTE, not by Idle frame
deletion/insertion.  Note that the Ethernet side of ELTE should be
considered as a part of Ethernet since there is no other "SONET-lite"
standard.

My basic question is why you need SONET framing between WAN-PHY
and ELTE.  This picture requires two SONET framers; one at WAN-PHY,
and again at ELTE to full-SONET.  What's wrong if you prepare SONET
Path STS-192c at ELTE? It will reduce the required number of SONET
framer to only one at ELTE to full-SONET, and will reduce the overall
implementation cost.

In other words, why you force us to invest two specialized hardware for
WAN access, WAN-PHY and ELTE, instead of one specialized hardware,
SONET-compliant PHY or ELTE with LAN-PHY at Ethernet side?

Best Regards,
Osamu

At 9:40 AM -0800 00.3.31, Paul Bottorff wrote:
> Osamu:
>
> A major difference between T1X1.5 and 802.3ae is that T1X1.5 is encoding
> over SONET, supporting all SONET clock, jitter, and management
> requirements, while 10 GigE WAN-PHY uses Ethernet compatible timing. This
> makes these two standards very different. It also address the issue of
> having a simple low cost WAN access media (10 GigE) and at the same time
> having a full fledged SONET compliant version.

Osamu Ishida
NTT Network Innovation Laboratories
TEL:+81-468-59-3263 FAX:+81-468-55-1282