Re: Break Link and Remote Fault

Shawn, Dineen,

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg02889.html

At 11:06 00/07/17 -0700, Thomas Dineen wrote:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg02891.html
> 	Did it fail because of opposition to the concept of
> signaling Break Link and Remote Fault, or did it fail because
> of opposition to the proposed method of signaling in the IFG?

Thank you for illuminating the main opposition to the LSS
in the La Jolla meeting; the use of IPG.

To tell the truth, as a full-duplex Layer-1 (SONET) guy,
I have not yet fully understood what issues are there.
So it would be appreciated if you could help me to figure out
what is the real argument to the current LSS proposal.

The LSS is the PHY signaling mechanism using the IDLE column
regardless of the presence or absence of the Ether Frame.
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/jul00/ishida_1_0700.pdf
As a presenter of the above proposal, I admit my misleading
words that may highlight the IPG usage too much.  It uses the
IDLE column, not the IPG itself,  for Layer-1 signaling.

At present I myself don't see any reason for 10GbE PHY to
distinguish the IDLE columns in IPG from those in pure IDLE
stream with no Ether Frame.

As I understand, Ethernet Break Link and Remote Fault is a
required Layer-1 signaling whose direct clients are PHY itself or
MDIO, not the MAC nor XGMII.  Therefore, it is natural to me
that PHY does not care about the XGMII status; the presence
or absence of the Ether Frame.  For BL and RF signaling, the PHY
is simply waiting the IDLE column to be replaced.

Restricting the Layer-1 signaling during the pure IDLE stream
alone reminds me the Auto-Negotiation process; special link
start-up sequence before starting the Layer-2 communication.

I guess this Auto-Negotiation or assuming the L1 signaling
during the link startup alone is due to CSMA/CD or half-duplex
nature of the traditional Ethernet.  However, 802.3ae has
decided to provide full-duplex link alone, and that's why we
will have no Auto-Negotiation process.  In this situation,
I believe it is more simple that the PHY does not care about the
XGMII status when the IDLE column carries the L1 signaling
information, such as RF and BL.

In short, in full-duplex point to point link, I see no reason
for PHY to distinguish the IDLE columns in IPG from those in
pure IDLE streams.

I might be missing something; so please let me know if you can
find some inconsistency in my current understanding.

Best Regards,
Osamu

Osamu ISHIDA
NTT Network Innovation Laboratories
TEL +81-468-59-3263  FAX +81-468-55-1282