Re: [802SEC] Issue items for BoG and 802 meeting in July 2002

Paul,

I think we need to flesh out the concepts; for example, instead of saying "trademark policy," we ought say what it is about the trademark policy that is, or may become, a challenge for us. We should even go further and advocate a position.

Personally, I would order the topics this way:

(0) The interests of the IEEE-SA are often out of alignment with those of the volunteers, so that the two are too often working at cross purposes. Suggestion: Ensure that staff values the standards developers and understands their goals. Likewise, be open with volunteers concerning staff goals. Be open to procedural changes to align the efforts.

(1) The high cost of standards limits the accessibility of our work and makes IEEE less competitive in attracting standards programs. Suggestion: Reconfigure the IEEE-SA as a lean organization able to thrive without revenue from sales of individual standards.

(2) The Conformance/certification policy is too ... Suggestion: ...

(3) The Trademark policy is too. Suggestion: ...

Roger