Re: [802SEC] RE: 2005 Meeting of 802 and IEEE-SASB

Buzz, et al,

The sequence of the IEEE 802 LMSC and IEEE-SA StB meetings in the month
of March is of critical importance to the work of both committees.  802 must
go first, followed by the StB.  We frequently have numerous agenda items
that
must first be approved by 802, and then by the StB and its committees.
 Think
of PARs and draft submittals for NesCom and RevCom, respectively.  We
frequently pre-submit such items for inclusion on the respective StB
committee agendas,
and then vote in the LMSC WGs and at the SEC to keep them on the agenda.

If the StB were to hold its March meeting before the SEC, we would lose our
best opportunity for rapid progress, and incure a 6 month slip on some
of our
projects.

Thus, we must ensure that the IEEE 802 LMSC always holds its meetings
before the IEEE-SA StB during the month of March, in every year. With
that provision
taken as a given, I am strongly in favor of co-locating our March
meetings whenever
practical, and I will continue to support this proposition in both
committees.

I strongly support Rona's most recent proposal to co-locate the meetings in
March, 2005, with the StB meeting on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the
end of the week. The conflict between the 802 LMSC meetings and the
StB committee meetings is minimized with such a schedule, while achieving
the maximum benefit from sequential, co-located meetings.

I also know that the StB can be very flexible in selecting the dates for
this
particular meeting.  March is usually the lightest month for the StB's
agenda,
and the time span between the preceeding December StB meeting and the
March StB meeting is typically the longest. Thus, just about any week in
March works for the StB.

Finally, as Rona stated, the StB would like to review and approve the
schedule
for the 2005 meetings during its next meeting on June 12, 2003.
 Anything that
we in the LMSC can do to create a formal proposal in time for this
meeting would
be very helpful.

Howard Frazier
Vice-Chair, IEEE-SA StB