Re: [802SEC] Sponsor Ballot Recirculation Minimum TIme?

To the best of my recollection, there was a time (before electronic balloting) when Sponsor ballot recirculation minimum time was 15 days and we aligned WG ballot with it. After electronic balloting came into use, the minimum Sponsor ballot recirculation time was reduced to 10 days - reflecting taking out the nominal mailing time for ballot and response. As Roger says, there was some discussion of whether to reduce the WG recirculation minimum to match and decided to stay with 15 days. BTW, initial Sponsor ballot minimum was 35 days back when they were mailed reduced to 30 days with electronic ballot and IEEE 802 did follow that transition for WG ballots.

I think that maintaining the difference is reasonable. The recirculations of WG ballots often have quite substantive changes. There are weekends and holidays. One might want to consult with colleagues to check on the effect of a spec change on implementability. A 10 day recirculation could start on a Friday and end on a Sunday leaving only 5 days (or less when a holiday is spanned) for that.

As we get to the end of WG balloting and transitioning to Sponsor ballot, there is time in the two month cycle that Adrian mentions to conduct a final 15-day WG recirculation and complete an initial Sponsor ballot so there isn't much pain in maintaining the 15-day minimum. I guess occasionally there might be cases where 10 days would allow for two recirculations plus a sponsor ballot but I think that is rare that we would use that.

Because the minimum tends to get used as the default length, I'd be against reducing the 15-day min for WG ballots.

I'm comfortable 10-day minimum for Sponsor ballot because we are usually making pretty few and minor changes at that point. Even in the less common cases when a technical issue has surfaced that we are tweaking a technical spec for it during Sponsor ballot, there is a focus on the change - it is isolated and one is aware of it before hand so 10 days suffices. We are trying to make RevCom dates where 10-days vs 15-days for recirculation can make a difference in meeting the deadline.