From: Roger Marks <r.b.marks@ieee.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 09:56
To: Holcomb, Jay <Jay.Holcomb@itron.com>; stds-802-sec@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day ECM – Early Close +++ Approval of comments on FCC NPRM for Section 7, Expediting of rules for new technologies due by 21 May 2018

Jay,

I vote Disapprove.

Here are some concerns:

(1) I cannot understand much of the proposed text. For example, I have trouble parsing: 'However, what if there are additional circumstances, for example, would shifting an existing technology to a new area of spectrum that is unique or significant be considered "New” technology?'

(2) The acronym "KDB" should be expanded but, in any case, I don't believe that providing examples of what is "new" would replace the need to define it.

(3) Having reviewed the FCC NPRM, I am troubled by some of the dissenting Commissioner's concerns. Some of these are addressed in the draft, but I worry about "Incumbents today are vulnerable to upstarts tomorrow.  The rules proposed here—under the guise of spurring innovation—will give anyone threatened by change the ability to oppose what is novel and the right to stonewall progress." It seems that the proposed rules place requirements on the "new" petitioner but none on those opposing.

(4) The only real implication on the FCC that I can see in the proposed rules is that it would be "obligated to take some concrete action within one year that advances the development and use" once newness is ascertained. To me, it doesn't seem very effective to set up a deadline to do something without any clarity about what it is.

I don't plan to change my vote, but I do suggest you consider an editorial review.

Cheers,

Roger