Re: [802SEC] Suggested forms of questions from Treasurer for Working Groups and TAGs

Yup...that is why I scheduled the 802.15 WG poll to close on Thursday. We used the questions exactly as you provided.

Ben

On 7/21/2020 12:03 PM, George Zimmerman wrote:

Ben – understood – but that data should be collected prior to our meeting. (which was actually the main point of our earlier discussion about the date of our meeting being  the 24th and not the 23rd)

Hopefully the information I provided below will enable those collecting the data to hit the relevant points, and answer simple questions for context.

The .15 closing plenary should have been last Friday –does the poll close later? (.19 closing plenary is Thursday, as is .3)

-george

From: Benjamin A. Rolfe <ben@blindcreek.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 11:55 AM
To: George Zimmerman <george@cmephyconsulting.com>; STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Suggested forms of questions from Treasurer for Working Groups and TAGs

Reminder that the data is not yet in, as we have a poll ongoing in 802.15 and 802.19 has not yet held their closing.

On 7/21/2020 11:05 AM, George Zimmerman wrote:

Thank you, Dorothy, this is helpful.  I’m inclined to think that members who require rationalization generally should answer no, because we can’t really count on support.  They might be convinced, but may not be, but they should understand that we charge to offset actual expenses (see below if you want more detail).

All – there are many ways to process this data, so far what I’ve seen, the group has gotten access to the data itself.  Getting any contextual discussion, as Dorothy has done, helps (at least my) understanding of the underlying assumptions.

Some, like Glenn, may look for single meeting mode with the most support, whereas others, like Roger, may look at the lowest meeting number for which cumulative support exceeds 50%.  Ultimately, these are perspective of the reader – the data is the data – so providing the raw data and context is very useful.

It is my opinion that it is important that we get the information in the context of willingness to pay in amounts of $150 or more, at least for the near term.  Having an affirmative answer with a supposition that the collected amount is $50-$100 generally doesn’t help in light of the fact that $50 is what we pay face-to-face in the event of an individual cancellation.

In some side discussions, it has become clear to me that we need to be thinking about this as two different modes.  This is important, at least for the reason that our superior rules limit what we can charge for.

  1. near-term, which includes the expense of unwrapping a scheduled and contracted face-to-face venue. (a last minute cancellation can range from $250k to $700k – which, with our typical 600-700 attendee number is $360 to $1000 expense per head – earlier cancellations would start more around $115k, which is more like $170 per head, but never $100 or less).
  2. long-term, which would be planned from the start as a virtual meeting – these would be directly related to (only) virtual meeting expenses.

Based on our ad hoc meeting yesterday I will be putting together information on several scenarios for the finances of a reduced number of face-to-face meetings for 802 for the EC to review.  I urge patience in this process.

-george