Re: [802SEC] reminder -- 802 restructuring ad hoc meeting 13:00-14:00 ET Tuesday 16 February

G’day Ben

I really like the idea of normalising remote meetings so that it is possible to obtain voting rights. We should definitely discuss this further.

I also believe we should restart F2F meetings as soon as possible, albeit maybe not as frequently as in the past, because we know they are helpful in developing great standards.

However, I suspect we have different views on the definition of as soon as possible.  I believe should only restart F2F meetings when it is reasonable for the vast majority (say 90+%)  of previous typical participants to travel to all of our typical destinations in Asia, North America and Europe. Any less, and we are unreasonably disenfranchising  our very important stakeholders!

I would limit the criteria for reasonableness to health and practicality issues. It will require widespread deployment of effective vaccines in most of the locations we come form and travel to, few quarantine restrictions, available flights, limited outbreaks of variants, etc. IMHO, we will not begin to satisfy these criteria  until late 2021 or early 2022.

In the meantime, we have an opportunity to refine our operations and work on changing our culture so that remote meetings work as well as they possibly can.

Andrew